Gift Aid

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid a government-run scheme that allows The Princess Royal Trust for Carers to reclaim the tax – about 25p for every £1 that you have already paid on your donations.

It’s one of the most simple and cost-effective ways to support a charity. Most people pay some tax, whether it’s on a salary, pension or savings.
So, for example, a £10 donation to The Princess Royal Trust for Carers would be worth £12.50 or a £50 donation with Gift Aid means we would receive a total of £62.50 – all at no extra cost to you.

How do I know if I’m a UK tax payer?
You are a UK tax payer if:

  • Tax is taken from your wages or salary before you receive your pay.
  • You have to fill in a self-assessment form each year
  • You have any taxable savings (in a Building Society, for instance), or a pension plan, or investment income.• If you have recently paid any capital gains tax, or expect to pay it in the near future. This could be on the sale of a property or some shares, for example.

If any of these apply to you, please complete and return your declaration so we can reclaim the tax on your donations.

Please note: Inheritance tax does not count as UK income tax.

How do I 'Gift Aid' my donation?

Just tick the box on our donation form confirming you are a UK taxpayer.

We can also claim the tax back on all gifts made to The Trust in the last four years.

If you would like to Gift Aid your donations past or present to The Trust and make your gift go further download the Gift Aid form here.

Can I gift aid through my company?

To Gift Aid a donation a company simply gives their donation to charity – the company does not deduct any tax from the donation and does not need to make a Gift Aid declaration to the charity. Tax relief is given by deducting the amount of the donation from profits prior to calculating Corporation Tax. For further details contact your company's tax office.

What if I’m self-employed?

If you’re self-employed (sole traders) then your gifts are treated in the same way as those from employed individuals.

You need to complete a Gift Aid form and we will reclaim the basic rate tax on it.

Download the Inland Revenue form.
What if I’m a higher rate tax payer?

We can still only claim back at the basic rate but please complete and return the Declaration anyway. You can tick the box on your self assessment tax return form nominating The Trust to receive the other 18%.

If you’re in any doubt about how to Gift Aid your donations please call us on 0844 800 8527 or email