Driving Licenses

There is no age limit on driving a car (but you need to re-apply every three years after the age of seventy)

If you, however, have or develop a disability or medical condition that affects your ability to drive, you must by law notify the Driver Vehicle Licence Agency (DVLA). The list of notifiable medical conditions are listed on their leaflet 'What you need to know about driving licences', which is available from the post office.

Having a disability or medical condition does not necessarily mean that your licence will be affected, but some conditions will lead to your licence being restricted, withdrawn or refused if you are applying for the first time.

You may be required to have a medical or driving test. If you have any doubts about your eligibility to drive, you should consult your general practitioner (GP). These tests are free, and you would be given priority at a driving test centre.

Low-speed scooters and buggies

A wide variety of low speed buggies and scooters are available that can be driven either on the pavement or road. You are advised to get advice on what particular vehicle would be most suitable for your needs from your local occupational health service. The Disabled Living Foundation (DLF) produces a guide to help you choose or you may like to visit your local Disabled Living Centre.

Highway Code for Electric Scooter and Wheelchair Users:

In recognition that electric scooters and wheelchairs do not fit into any road user category of the highway code, a special highway code for users has been produced by the British Healthcare Trades Association (BHTA), backed by the Department of Transport, local government and the regions. Aimed to reduce accidents, the 'Highway Code for Electric Scooter and Wheelchair Users' gives guidelines for driving as well as advice on what to consider before buying and guidance on maintenance.

Road Tax or Driving License?

No road tax is payable nor is a driving licence or insurance legally required to drive these vehicles. However, it is recommended to have some insurance to cover personal injury to yourself or others and damage to the vehicle. To be used on footpaths, vehicles must not go above 4mph but can travel at up to 8mph on most roads. 

The AA offers a breakdown service to users of these vehicles. If you are having a problem, phone AA Mobility Assistance (0800 26 20 50), who will deliver the vehicle back to your home if needed.