1. 16 Plus and cannot deal with his affairs!

    Posted by Coogybear at Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:53 am

    Having just completed my son’s post 16, DLA documents, he’s been awarded payment for his severe difficulties for an indefinite period.
    I ticked the box to sign on his behalf, as he cannot manage his affairs himself, but have now been told I need a home visit from a team to ascertain this is in fact the case. This is despite enclosing an Educational Psychologists Report stating he has Severe Dyslexia and an LEA Statement of special Educational needs, stating he has severe and complex needs, by definition of his Aspergers and his co-occurring specific learning difficulties.
    I’ve taken time to speak to my son and ask him what he wants, as well as speaking with the professionals who monitor his needs and he’s expressed to all, that he doesn’t feel able to manage his forms and money etc and would like me to deal with things on his behalf. We were in the process of buying him some new equipment with his DLA payments, to help with his difficulties, but that has now stopped, pending this home visit I’m told has to take place.
    My son is agitated at the prospect of speaking with the team (Strangers) and becomes extremely agitated at the thought of having to deal this aspect of daily living. Can anyone tell me what the visit is likely to entail, so I can allay his fears and what further evidence they are likely to need? I’m told that I can become his appointee, but I’m also not sure of the process involved. :(

  2. Re: 16 Plus and cannot deal with his affairs!

    Posted by jo jo at Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:40 pm

    Appointeeship is straight forward a DWP visitor comes to see you and young person he just asked me a few questions filled some forms in and asked Carl a couple of questions such as what he'd spend the money on etc was only here about half an hour as soon as he spoke to him he said it was obvious he was unable to manage his money. You should receive a letter from them asking for a couple of forms of id, to be fair anyone could say their child can't manage so they have to check up on it.

    Jo x

  3. Re: 16 Plus and cannot deal with his affairs!

    Posted by meg mackenzie at Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:35 pm

    I have appointeeship for three family members. Each visit was by appointment, a letter in advance asking to have ID available, the forms were completed and the lady away within half an hour. She arranged a benefit check at my request for the last appointeeship. Paperwork arrived within a week with a directline contact number if there were any problems.

    For the first few benefit applications on appointee`s behalf I was asked for proof as it hadn`t hit all their systems, so now I copy the letter with any correspondence to save time.

    Most recent renewal was a letter asking if I still wanted to beDad`s appointee, and a phonecall after it was returned to check it was OK. He is 92, so I suspect they thought he may have died and I hadn`t told them!

    The people who deal with this are specially trained and shouldn`t cause any angst.

    Take care

  4. Re: 16 Plus and cannot deal with his affairs!

    Posted by swissmiss at Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:05 pm

    It is nothing to worry about. They are friendly and simply completing the form..no probs in my experience. :D

  5. Re: 16 Plus and cannot deal with his affairs!

    Posted by suejane at Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:32 pm

    Hello there. We did this with Cian. No problem they were friendly and all over with quite quickly x :)

  6. Re: 16 Plus and cannot deal with his affairs!

    Posted by Coogybear at Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:15 pm

    Thank you all for your info, I shall let him know. Not sure he needs benefits yet, he's still at School, but hopefully it will be straightforward. Mxx :D
Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to