1. Does any of you manage to do any hobby`s?

Posted by nuttywoman at Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:54 pm

Do you find time to do them?
    I`d like to think i could find the time for my hobbies when hubby needs more care.

2. Re: Does any of you manage to do any hobby`s?

Posted by Greta at Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:38 am

Hi there

I am a carer for my mother. I don't have time for any hobbies apart from my computer. I have found it invaluable. If my mum is unwell, my computer is in my room right next to her and so I feel that I am near enough if she should need me.I have found so much help with it.

Take care

Greta

3. Re: Does any of you manage to do any hobby`s?

Posted by anneliz at Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:04 am

Hi

I love to read and have developed the knack of reading for any spare five mins I can find. It is pure escapism and helps a lot.
    The garden is another passion, a little bit more difficult but if things are organised in the house, husband content and the window is open to hear if he calls then as long as I check him regularly it is still possible.
    What do you enjoy doing?

Ann

4. Re: Does any of you manage to do any hobby`s?

Posted by alibali at Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:45 pm

I sometimes manage to read but lose the place due to interruptions, somertimes manage cross stitch but just small un-complicated ones as I dont get much peace, can make card which have done for 2 years as you dont need a lot of time to make one and you get a nice result quick.

5. Re: Does any of you manage to do any hobby`s?

Posted by Greebo at Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:45 am

I've found that it helps if your hobbies etc are things you can either do in small bites, or pick up and put down quickly. They also need to be things you can do indoors or in limited space. Therefore:
    Reading, yes, - jigsaws, probably not.

Origami, yes - dyeing, no.

Crochet, yes (doesn't unravel) - knitting, no (have to finish the row).

Playstation, not unless the game can be paused, and you have a memory card.

Dressmaking, yes but it takes a lot longer.

Dancing or exercise - yes, if your home is large enough and you have the energy!

Yoga or meditation, maybe.

Playing an instrument - maybe, if you can fit in a couple of minutes to practice most days.

Wirework and beading, yes - claywork, no.

6. Re: Does any of you manage to do any hobby`s?

Posted by alibali at Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:50 pm

Hello again
    I have a piano which I love but havent been able to play it this year due to Paul being at home all the time, I took lessons and was studying grade 6 when he had to stop going to school full time it got too frustrating not been allowed to finish a tune and not being able to lose yourself in the music so I look at my lovely piano but cant play it which makes me sad.

7. Re: Does any of you manage to do any hobby`s?

Posted by MULTIBRIGHT at Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:15 pm

Hiya,

Yes Im a parent/carer for an A.S.D. son 18, have a dyspraxic daughter 23, now pregnant with her first child, who lives with my mum 82 with severe polyarthritis, (I take them out for shopping appointments etc) My Husband is also recovering from Tonsil Cancer & removal of a Cancerous lymph gland in his neck, oh yes my stepson has dyspraxia too. I do make time for my hobbies even if only a couple of hours here and there, I'd go mad otherwise. I love using my PC, and also enjoy my astrology, which I started doing some years ago, before I ever got a PC as I found I could work on charts when I had some spare time, or even if the kids were indoors, as I could still be aware of what they were doing.

My husband & I also enjoy going out often early Saturday evenings, having a stroll & something to eat like a carvery. Now the children are older and have some independence I don't feel guilty, my son can cook a basic meal such as pizza & oven chips, or something similar, & enjoys doing that once or twice a week, but couldn't prepare a meal from scratch as assessed for d.l.a.

Try and find something you enjoy if possible, it will help you cope better in the long run, you have rights too.

Beverley
Jump to