1. What do you wish they knew?

Posted by Online support team at Wed May 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi everyone,

At Carers Trust we've been having a think about whether there are things that the general public really don't know about carers and whether the public perception of carers tallies with reality (or not!). So, we were wondering what you think about the following questions
    • What are your top things you wish people didn’t get wrong about carers?
    • What would be the one thing you wish people knew or understood about carers?

To start you off we've got this thought from one of our staff team:
    "I really wish people would understand that no, we don't automatically have an in depth knowledge of how to get wheelchairs in and out of cars or change dressings - we are just expected to learn"

We're looking forward to seeing your thoughts on this one and hopefully we can use this discussion to trigger off some good conversations over on our social media pages too :D

Online support team
    Carers.org

2. Re: What do you wish they knew?

Posted by jaye2080 at Wed May 09, 2012 2:31 pm

I wish people knew, wish they could realise, that we don't have all the help that we need, that social services and all the charity people do not come running to help at the first sign of trouble, I wish people knew that getting help is one of the hardest things we carers have to do!

3. Re: What do you wish they knew?

Posted by swissmiss at Fri May 11, 2012 1:09 am

I agree with Jaye. Sums it up really. I am fed up of astounding nurses, and police even, with the story of how little help we have had and get. Perhaps some training for people working in those professions would be useful. Especially as the police pick up the pieces when it all goes wrong and nurses send people home from hospital whilst living in some imaginary dream world where they think adequate care and support will be given!!! :x:roll::(

4. Re: What do you wish they knew?

Posted by suejane at Sat May 12, 2012 12:18 pm

I wish Social Services could have helped me with my eldest son but his dad-my ex-managed to hide it all and i lost my son.My pleas for help were laughed off because they thought i was the one with problem, but the boy carried on with his violent outbursts for years and maybe he still has them.His sister ened up in hospital twice but still they wouldnt help us. :(

5. Re: What do you wish they knew?

Posted by Fhawn at Wed May 16, 2012 11:11 am

I wish that i could have guarentee's of my daughters safety, when the day comes that im not here,
    I wish you didn't hear horror stories of inadequate care being given to vulnerable people on the news
    I wish that people wouldn't stare when they see a child behave differently..
    Or think it's a case of bad parenting...
    I wish i didn't feel truely heartbroken & worried about my daughter's future with every breath i take..
    I wish i was not worried that someone could take advantage of my teenage daughter, as she does not speak!
    I wish i could hear my daugter say 'mum'
    I wish people wouldn't tell me 'Give her time' not understanding Autisim..
    I wish that carers alike myself didn't feel so alone....
    I wish, I wish, I wish,
    I wish so much but have no reassurance's that life, people's views/action's will change
    Most of all I Wish i didn't worry so much, but that makes me who i am,

6. Re: What do you wish they knew?

Posted by senaz23 at Wed May 16, 2012 9:49 pm

yes i also wish that professionals really knew what carers are going through day by day. i would be very happy to allow to take part in a reality tv show where professionals spend a day or a week with us to see the level of stress we go through everyday. maybe then those who are suppose to design services for us will understand reality of a care's life
Jump to