1. adult day care inspections

Posted by chris f at Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:01 pm

During a recent meeting of carers we learnt that day care centres do not have to be inpected by CQC, we could not believe that vulnerable adults could attend day centres which have no standards to be met. All residential homes etc must meet very high levels set by CQC. Why not day centres, I am now starting a campaign to get this changed and would welcom input from others who use these services. I live in Bexley,(a london borough) Chris

2. Re: adult day care inspections

Posted by Flowerpower at Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:03 pm

I agree with you. I worked for a long time at a Day Centre for older people and there were lots of things I disagreed with. The co-ordinators treated them like children and really bossed them about. They also didn't treat them as individuals - they wanted everybody doing the same thing at the same time because it was easier for them.

All playing bingo, all going on a mini bus trip, all doing chair exercises etc. If anybody said they didn't want to go on a bus trip they used to get told not to bother coming in that day because they couldn't stay behind on their own. Likewise if they didn't want to do exercises they were accused of being "miserable."

3. Re: adult day care inspections

Posted by chris f at Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi Thanks for your reply, since the first post Ive now found out that the supported living does not get inspected either, according to cqc website its the "service provider that has to meet the standards" regardless of the care or standards of the house etc, Its really frightening what level of "care" some people could be getting,especially those with learning disabilities that can't speak up for them selves.
    Chris
Jump to