The local NHS provides 100% of the support I get for my mother which I am impressed and grateful for.

I do have mounds of glossy literature from the Caring about Caring industry but the bits I understand don't seem to apply.

I phoned a couple of numbers asking how to clean a soiled mattress but apparently that's not what Carer's Support is about.

I was directed to the Carer's Trust who offered an app that sends whining messages to your computer. I tried to find out what the point of it is but didn't understand the answer. Apparently though, it's just the support you need when looking after a relative.

There were some social events advertised which I think my mother would have liked but they were for carer's only - perfect for those whose ideal social occasion is one where one goes alone to meet strangers to talk shop with.

As for wheelchairs the advice given by carer's carers is to buy from the Red Cross, but I got an equivalent basic chair for half the price commercially at Betterlife.

[edited]

The Standing Commission on Carers visited the area asking for views. I wrote a letter but got no response - I had suggested that all the public funds going to the Caring about Caring Industry be re-channelled to carers directly. Mind you, I did write in English rather than in Caring about Caring English so must accept some responsibility for any poor communication medium chosen.

Mind you I have found advantages in being a 'carer'. My mother complained that the Merc was too hot last year, and she get's impatient if journeys take too long, so it was a good reason to hunt for a Saab 900 Turbo convertible. Only the ones I were after were sold before I could view them so I settled for a underpowered BMW convertible.

Now if only the Caring about Caring industry was less interested in barn dances and finger painting and more into car tuning I could see the point of the industry.

I've also been able to give my nephew a lead for more customers in his print career. Caring about Caring does take a lot of waffling.