1. Finding good residential care

Posted by Online support team at Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:40 am

Hi everyone,

A new website has been launched today by the Social Care Institute for Excellence. Its aim is to help people find and identify good residential care. It has lots of information including sections on finding care in your area, how to find funding and the different options for care at home.
    We think it looks quite useful and hope it's of some use to anyone having to navigate their way through the various health and social care systems!
    Here it is http://www.findmegoodcare.co.uk/

Online support team

2. Re: Finding good residential care

Posted by swissmiss at Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:55 pm

It looks interesting so will definitely give it a go when we finally find our new home. With Mum recently I used the CQC site and then visited because the homes vary so much in terms of environment and ethos and I found that CQC inspections were not at all accurate...some homes are just good I think at springing into action when the inspector calls and doing and saying the right thing..I was also shocked to find that their inspectors are local and known to the home managers which left me wondering how impartial they can be???? Main thing was to see how happy the residents were and how clean and smellfree they were...amazingly some care homes for the elderly dont smell nasty I found so it must be possible with the right approach to care. If the carers are guarded and the managerial levels dont want you to talk to them..beware. It is hard and there is no doubt that home is best but then we arent all able to care for all our loved ones...theres only me and my two boys are more than enough for me to care for. Perhaps this site will help me find support and home care for Ali?
    Karen :)
Jump to