1. Grants webchat on Thursday 16th Aug, 7pm

Posted by Online support team at Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi everyone,

We're pleased to announce that on 16th August members of our Grants team, Trisha, Charisse and Keith, will be joining us in the chatroom at 7pm.

They'll be talking about grants for carers - so if you have questions like what's available and where from, how to go about starting to look for financial help towards adaptations, travel, respite etc, and how to maximise your chances of succeeding, do come along to the chat!

It should be an interesting one to learn how the systems work. In case, you miss the chat, the transcript of the chat will be made available online later on.

PS: If this is your first time on Carers.org, please don't forget to register on the site in order to be able to access the chatroom http://www.carers.org/chat

Looking forward to seeing you there!

2. Re: Grants webchat on Thursday 16th Aug, 7pm

Posted by dannydogman at Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:03 pm

how do i a ply for a carers grant and what is a carers grant :D

3. Re: Grants webchat on Thursday 16th Aug, 7pm

Posted by Online support team at Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi there,

Carers Trust manages a series of grant programmes aimed at providing financial support for carers in the areas they've told us it's most needed. Funding breaks, for example, and purchasing or replacing much needed items that help make daily tasks easier (washing machines, tumble dryers etc).

There are several grants available, and they can be applied for via local carers' centres affliated with this organisation. Members of staff at these centres can explain more about the eligibility requirements, and help with the application process.

Join us in the chat tomorrow for more details.

Online support team,
    Carers.org

4. Re: Grants webchat on Thursday 16th Aug, 7pm

Posted by ceepee at Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:51 pm

I was allocated a Carers Grant last month.Now they have moved the goalposts and said that I can only have it if I take a break.This isn`t possible for me as I nurse my terminally ill husband and it would mean putting him in a hospice - one of his deepest fears !

We need many basic household items replaced - fridge,cooker,bed yet they have refused to make a grant on these grounds.I have been a 24/7 Carer for 13 years - don`t receive any Carers Allowance because I have an Inland Revenue pension.

I assumed the Grant was a recognition of 13 years unpaid caring - it appears not !Can my LA refuse the grant - after informing me that I am due to receive it - purely because I am not able to take a holiday !!!

The LA concerned are Denbighshire County Council - Carys Williams,Carers Commissionng Officer LL19 9LG.All help gratefully accepted !! :(

5. Re: Grants webchat on Thursday 16th Aug, 7pm

Posted by ceepee at Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi ! anyone there ????I want to visit chat re carers grants - can you help ???

6. Re: Grants webchat on Thursday 16th Aug, 7pm

Posted by Online support team at Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:45 am

Hi Ceepee,

Firstly, we apologise for the delay in responding - our team works part time and therefore it can be a short time before a message is responded to.

From what you've told us, it sounds like this specific grant was conditional on you having a respite break from your caring responsibilities - something which we can see you were unable to do. Unfortunately, each local authority has its own criteria for things like this. However, we think it would be a good idea to discuss this further with someone at your local carers' centre as there are grants available towards the cost of essential household items. You can find your nearest carers' centre by using the search facility on our website here: http://www.carers.org/carers-services/f ... al-service

We're also sorry that you were unable to join the webchat last night. We're planning to publish the transcript in the next few days so hopefully you'll be able to read through that to get some more advice. We'll let you know when it's available for you to read.

We hope that's helpful.

Online support team

7. Re: Grants webchat on Thursday 16th Aug, 7pm

Posted by Online support team at Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:43 am

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to apologise for the delay in getting the transcript for this up online. We hope to get it on here in the next week or two and will let you know as soon as it is!

Online support team
    carers.org :)

8. Re: Grants webchat on Thursday 16th Aug, 7pm

Posted by Online support team at Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:09 pm

Hello everyone,

The transcript (packed with useful information!) from this chat is now online here http://www.carers.org/hosted-chats-2011

Hope it's helpful to some of you,

Online support team
    www.carers.org
Jump to