1. Anybody had their DLA rates reduced? Losing Carers allowance

Posted by Flowerpower at Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:27 pm

My daughter (learning diffs) has had her DLA reduced and now I find out that I will not be entitled to Carers allowance now that's at a lower rate.

I have contacted DLA to get them to take another look at it and I can also appeal if that's not successful. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't need to appeal because the lady on the phone sounded very nice and was helpful.

I really need my Carers allowance because although daughter is physically fine she needs a lot of support and help all the time and I couldn't leave her and go and get a job. Mind you I'm late 50s so I don't think I'd find a job anyway!

Has this happened to anybody else on here and how did you get on? Thanks.

2. Re: Anybody had their DLA rates reduced? Losing Carers allowance

Posted by swissmiss at Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:00 am

Best advice is to contact CAB and speak to a disability adviser. I did this years back and they loaned me a Disability Rights Alliance handbook...it spells out in details all the criteria for every level of every benefit. They have them at libraries I believe or you can buy them. Ask them...they are experts. Sometimes its down to how you fill the form in and those that check are apparently not to clever..if you dont fill the right boxes in you dont get the benefit.
    Karen x :-)

3. Re: Anybody had their DLA rates reduced? Losing Carers allowance

Posted by Flowerpower at Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:18 am

swissmiss wrote:

Best advice is to contact CAB and speak to a disability adviser. I did this years back and they loaned me a Disability Rights Alliance handbook...it spells out in details all the criteria for every level of every benefit. They have them at libraries I believe or you can buy them. Ask them...they are experts. Sometimes its down to how you fill the form in and those that check are apparently not to clever..if you dont fill the right boxes in you dont get the benefit.
    Karen x :-)

Thanks swissmiss xx

4. Re: Anybody had their DLA rates reduced? Losing Carers allowance

Posted by Flowerpower at Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Have had a reply and they stand by what they said, DD will now get lower rate for both care and mobility so I won't be able to claim Carers Allowance. Well peed off!! Any advice please?

5. Re: Anybody had their DLA rates reduced? Losing Carers allowance

Posted by Flowerpower at Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:36 pm

I am appealing against the above decision. It's going to be very hard without my Carer's allowance too.

6. Re: Anybody had their DLA rates reduced? Losing Carers allowance

Posted by swissmiss at Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:37 pm

Did you speak to CAB??? If nothing else there may be other benefits you are entitled to? Also how to protect your pension rights if you lose the CA. :)

7. Re: Anybody had their DLA rates reduced? Losing Carers allowance

Posted by suejane at Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Cian aged 21 is on Incapacity Benefit and DLA but this is changing now and he is due a medical anytime now. Good luck everyone with this xxxx

8. Re: Anybody had their DLA rates reduced? Losing Carers allowance

Posted by Flowerpower at Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:36 pm

swissmiss wrote:

Did you speak to CAB??? If nothing else there may be other benefits you are entitled to? Also how to protect your pension rights if you lose the CA. :)

Spoke to the pensions office and they were very helpful and are sending me a letter to confirm. They say as long as you have 30 years contributions you are OK - so I'm keeping fingers crossed.

9. Re: Anybody had their DLA rates reduced? Losing Carers allowance

Posted by Flowerpower at Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:40 pm

My DH has come across several people who have had their DLA cut this year (he's self-employed and his work takes him to lots of homes).

I also bumped into an old schoolfriend who is a social worker and she was saying that the benefits people have been told to shave loads of money off this year. She also advised me to appeal (which I have anyway) because my DD's needs are the same as ever they were.
Jump to