1. Fast Easy Meals For Trainee Chefs

Posted by Guest at Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:57 pm

I need to learn to cook so I need your help to share your ideas on what is quick easy and requires very little knowledge about cooking ....

Bearing in mind I just tried to make boiled eggs which I never got to eat because when I put them in the sauce pan they cracked open.

Things that I won't eat
    - mince
    - vegetables
    - sausages
    - pork
    - chicken on the bone
    - liver
    - fish - although I eat salmon!
    - cheese - I only like chilli cheese
    - pizza

I think that's the main things I don't like.
    I'd like ideas for dinners, desserts and snacks and possibly something for breakfast that is exciting except for cereal.

It has to please me and my two fussy children!

So goodluck!
    x

2. Re: Fast Easy Meals For Trainee Chefs

Posted by jaye2080 at Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:04 pm

lets start with the boiled eggs.
    you took them straight from the fridge and put them into a pan of boiling water....right.
    what you need to do is take the eggs out the fridge a couple of hours before you need them to bring them to room temperature. Actually, eggs should not be kept in a fridge, just somewhere nice and cool and dark if you can.
    HTH
    jaye

3. Re: Fast Easy Meals For Trainee Chefs

Posted by Sam carers.org at Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:06 am

Oh good grief, not a challenge at all then :o !
    So, as promised, here's a recipe for chicken schnitzel (pronounced shhnitzel). It's easy, tasty and the kids will like it too, I promise!
    Ingredients:
    2 x chicken breasts
    50g breadcrumbs (leave approx 3 slices of bread out on a plate for a few hours so they go stale, then grate them until crumbs)
    itbsp of parmesan cheese, grated.
    zest (skin) of 1/4 of a lemon, finely grated
    1tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
    1.5 tbsps of plain flour
    Half of one beaten egg
    75ml milk
    Oil

Method:
    Cut each chicken breast in half, lengthways. Put it between two pieces of cling film and then give it a few good whacks with a rolling pin until it's flattened (about the thickness of a pencil)
    Mix up the breadcrumbs, parmesan, lemon zest and parsley on a large plate, add a pinch of salt and pepper
    Put the flour on another plate, add a pinch of salt and pepper to this too.
    Mix up the half a beaten egg and milk in a shallow bowl
    Coat one piece of the flattened chicken in the plate of flour first, making sure it's covered all over. Shake off any spare. Then dip it in the egg mixture, coat it properly but let any spare drip off, then straight into the breadcrumb mixture and make sure it's covered all over. Put this chicken piece to one side for a moment and do the same with the other piece of chicken.
    Heat approx 1tbsp of oil in a large frying pan. When nice and hot place in one of the pieces of chicken. Cook it for 4-5 mins each side, or until it's golden coloured and cooked through (you can check this by cutting into the thickest part to make sure it's not pink).
    Serve up with whatever you like on the side - potato wedges, peas, baked beans, salad etc!

It sounds more complicated than it is, it really only takes a few minutes!
    And if you want to make your own chicken nuggets, you do the exact same but chop up the chicken into finger sized slices before doing all the dipping / coating. And instead of frying, you can cook them on a baking tray in the oven for 10-12 mins on approx 180 degrees/ gas mark 6.

Dannie, I expect a full report back on this next time I see you in the chatroom!
    Sam

4. Re: Fast Easy Meals For Trainee Chefs

Posted by Guest at Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Afternoon :)

Jayne they weren't in the fridge, I just didn't realize how easy eggs cracked and kind of went a wee bit heavy handed putting them in the saucepan. - Lesson learned!

- Forgot to say that I am so scared of touching raw meat! I've never done it in my entire life cause it seriously freaks me out! Nonetheless I will try and over come this fear *fingers crossed*

:lol: Oh Sam that's hilarious that you think I will be able to make this. I will try it out on Friday or Saturday and depending on how it goes I'll update use!

I only have one question what one is the tablespoon? Is it the baby spoon on the big spoon?

x

5. Re: Fast Easy Meals For Trainee Chefs

Posted by Sam carers.org at Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Oh Dannie :lol:
    Ok, so the teaspoon is the one you use when you make a cup of tea, the dessert spoon is what you use to eat cereals with and the tablespoon is the size above that. If you don't have a tablespoon then use a dessert spoon AND a teaspoon and that'll probably be about right! (Not heaped, just fairly level...)
    Re. the raw meat thing - I just don't know what to suggest! Win the lottery and hire a chef?!

Sam

6. Re: Fast Easy Meals For Trainee Chefs

Posted by Kat_C at Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Get some pre rolled meatballs from where ever u shop, cook in oven for 22 mins turn half way, place in a diff pan, get some fresh garlic or garlic puree and put some in with the meatballs open a tin of chopped tomatoes, and a small amoount of tomato puree, they yo go home made meatballs in tomato sauce, make some pasta or rice to go with

7. Re: Fast Easy Meals For Trainee Chefs

Posted by suejane at Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Any kind of pasta with Dolmio different sauces on top-quick and delicicious!

8. Re: Fast Easy Meals For Trainee Chefs

Posted by Guest at Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:15 pm

I was full of good intentions tonight I went into town to buy food and well ... I kind of didn't get to cause well ummm I went into River Islands sale and then went and bought new make up - I have my priorities right ;)

Sam I told my mum what you suggested she says you have bitten off more than you can chew if you think I can make that - and shes right that sort of stuff is far to adventurous but I will make it one day in the very far away future.

Brilliant suggestions Kat and Sue!
    Kat - I hate meatballs but I'm pretty sure I could try and make it for the kids!
    Sue - That's my kinda style! Yours sounds easy and I love love love pasta!

x

9. Re: Fast Easy Meals For Trainee Chefs

Posted by jeanette_605 at Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:15 pm

I know you can do this one Dannie,

Half a cup of extra virgin olive oil.(no the finished product doesnt taste like oil at all)
    Half a cup of fresh lemon juice.
    Half a cup of grated cheese. (I used parmesan)
    About two or more tablespoons of finely chopped up flat leaf parsley. (A Table spoon is a big one Dannie ,lol)
    Just mix them all together in a bowl... no cooking!
    Buy some fresh pasta from the supermarket.you will find it in the chiller cabinet. I used spaghetti pasta but any will do.Cook it as directed drain well..Then tip the pasta into the bowl of Oil.lemon juice/cheese /flat parsley and mix all together. It tastes very light and very tasty. It did say put some pieces of cooked chicken with it but I dont eat chicken so you can put any cooked meat you like with it or Salmon/Tuna!But Really nice with a salad with or without meat/fish..
    Honestly it IS VERY easy Dannie.and only takes minutes.

Jeanette. :)

10. Re: Fast Easy Meals For Trainee Chefs

Posted by swissmiss at Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:54 pm

Try these easy student recipes! I read that most students cant boil an egg so you should be fine! :D:D
    http://studentrecipes.com/recipes/soup/
Jump to