1. ESA appeals process, really worried and scared

Posted by justme91 at Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:09 pm

My mums currently going through the appeals process, as she was placed in a work related activity group when she clearly can't work. We're asking for her to be placed into the support group with the option of a work interview when she's mentally well enough.
    I received a letter saying they'd tell us when and where her appeal will be heard. I'm scared because I don't know what happens at these and do we attend or not....
    This whole thing has caused her even anxiety and depression for her.
    And all this because they never updated her health records at the job Centre for years, she's on DLA indefinitely.

Just wondering if anyone here has gone through this and can tell me sort of what happens.... :(

Thanks guys :)

2. Re: ESA appeals process, really worried and scared

Posted by swissmiss at Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:59 am

Hi there
    I thought someone who had been through this would answer you but they havent so thought I would try and offer you some reassurance. I have two adult sons with Autism. So far they have refused to be interviewed and so far they have been let off and kept their benefit. We have taken the approach that they have been diagnosed by professionals so shouldnt have to justify themselves..am not sure if anyone has done this before as they seem confused what to do!!!
    My advice would be to stick to your guns and try not to worry...not many people stick with it to appeal and those that do stand a good chance of beating them..I think. They cant change the person or their disability no matter how hard they try is the way I see it. Being scared wont change anything and will make you feel terrible so try not to be. Have you had a discussion with CAB? If not I should as they are very good at cutting through the benefits crap. They will be able to advise you what will happen and I should attend as you can describe yourself much better than anyone else will and it shows it matters. If you dotn attend they might think you are trying it on.
    Keep strong and know what is right and you will win through.
    Take care
    Karen xx :):)

3. Re: ESA appeals process, really worried and scared

Posted by justme91 at Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:13 am

Thanks Karen x

I'm a little nervous about attending but don't really mind going, the part that's worrying me is taking my mum to the tribunal. She has trouble handling simple social situations like going to the shops sometimes, so I don't know how she'll bare up with this. Her CPN said that with the letter she sent with her and the psychiatrists signature on explaining the situation should have been enough in her opinion, and she's not happy with my mum going at all.

Still so scared lol x

4. Re: ESA appeals process, really worried and scared

Posted by swissmiss at Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:39 am

Hi
    Have you spoken with the appeals people about this...I would. I believe that if attending these assessments is detrimental to the wellbeing of the individual you can get a letter from your GP to say that and they are excused. I would ring them and tell them about your Mum and ask them what can be done. If you dont get anywhere contact CAB for support...also ask if there is an advocacy service who can meet with you and speak on your behalf...Not sure what happens next though. I wouodnt take my youngest if they called him because he is disturbed enough by his fathers suicide and doesnt talk much let alone tell me why he is upset.
    Karenx
Jump to