1. How to get transport to college for autistic young man

Posted by reinvented at Tue May 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi everyone

I would be so grateful if anyone can advise me how to get funding for a taxi or travel companion.

My son is 19, he has autism and is unable to travel at peak times to to crowds and noise, it disorientates him. I have knocked on so many doors but none have opened.

We are about to be offered 4 hours of direct payments a week - lord knows what that will be. I have been advised not to accept direct payments, but to make the social care team advise me of all the options available because it is a nightmare to manage DP.

Would be so grateful if anyone can advise.

Thanks

2. Re: How to get transport to college for autistic young man

Posted by swissmiss at Tue May 29, 2012 9:36 pm

Have you spoken with the SENCO at the college? They should be able to sort it for you I think.

3. Re: How to get transport to college for autistic young man

Posted by reinvented at Tue May 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks swissmiss

I have been told that funding has changed, that it was held by the council for special needs. Now that money has been given to colleges who have to share it equally with all students. The result £38 per week, taxi cost £70 per day. I don't know if what I am told is true anymore swissmiss being passed from pillar to post.

4. Re: How to get transport to college for autistic young man

Posted by swissmiss at Thu May 31, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi
    How about asking your local CAB office? But I would have thought that the college would be able to sort it out for you. Just go higher up the food chain till you get to the college principal? They should be creative in sorting it for you...thats their job.
    Karen x
Jump to