1. Carers Grants

Posted by WAODOH at Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:47 am

Hi - I'm working with a carer trying to raise funding for a holiday for her and her husband. I've managed to arrange the £1000 per year grant available in Surrey and am aware of the £500 GP carers payment.

Does anyone know of any charitable organisations which offer grants to carers, or of any other funding streams.

As a professional some stories of how carers grants have helped (or hindered) you in the past would be nice too.

2. Re: Carers Grants

Posted by CrystalBlueWolf at Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:20 pm

I've never been able to get a respite grant and i've been doing this for 2 years so far, and over a year when i was a young carer. If i want respite i have to arrange and pay for it myself

3. Re: Carers Grants

Posted by WAODOH at Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. Who have you approached in the past to try and get a grant? Can you recall the reasons why you were turned down?

4. Re: Carers Grants

Posted by Kat_C at Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:36 pm

i got a health grant before christmas to get away. thats was through my carers centre

5. Re: Carers Grants

Posted by swissmiss at Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:09 pm

What does WAODOH stand for?? Do you charge for your service? Are you self-employed??? ...lots of questions ! :-)

6. Re: Carers Grants

Posted by hal at Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:20 pm

Sadly

I think that something like this maybe available to people but they probably have no idea how to go about getting them. Would we go down the road of say discussing it with our doctors or is there a special body in place that you contact.

Not that this actually matters to me anymore because my wife has just died, had her funeral yesterday, however, we liked to go on holiday to either Devon or Cornwall and I had to try and get suitable accomodation, she could not walk upstairs but she did not require hoisting etc. I think the most that I spent for a 2 week holiday was about £400 because I knew that spending anymore would reduce the amount that we had to spend on our trip.

Some of the more expensive accomodation may have been better but I did have to do a lot of research to ensure that my wife was able to get into the place that had been selected by me. I had to think of things such as were there any steps up to the place, how far was the car away, would I need the wheelchair to get her from the car to the accomodation.

All little things I know but they all add up when you are looking for suitable places to stop at.

7. Re: Carers Grants

Posted by swissmiss at Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:38 pm

It is true that you can have a suitable holiday for considerably less than £1500..depends where you want to go I suppose? There are also always people ready to charge exhorbitant amounts for providing care, if you also want a break from the carework? :)

8. Re: Carers Grants

Posted by Sparhawk73 at Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:00 pm

She can only use the GP carers grant for herself not to be used for both . you should check out www.disabilty-grants.org

9. Re: Carers Grants

Posted by suejane at Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:41 pm

I didnt know you could get anything. I would love to take Cian on holiday but can never afford it.ps my son aged 20 :?

10. Re: Carers Grants

Posted by WAODOH at Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 am

swissmiss wrote:

What does WAODOH stand for?? Do you charge for your service? Are you self-employed??? ...lots of questions ! :-)

Hi SwissMiss,

WADOH stands for Walking Angel or Devil on Horseback which is how one of my health colleagues described her impressions of community workers before I switched out here from a hospital role.

I am employed in Surrey although I'd rather not disclose my employer as I do not represent them here. Nevertheless I work closely with social services, various charitable and social organisations and I focus on work with learning disabled people and their carers.

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to