1. Helping carers

Posted by dosanjh1 at Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:14 am

Hello

I work for a local authority that is going to start an advertising campaign to get carers who have not identified themselves as carers to take up services.

Could anybody point me to any good adverts, posters etc that promote carer services?

2. Re: Helping carers

Posted by suejane at Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:41 pm

You are on the best site now, if adverts are allowed! Im sure we all know someone who cares for someone else! :-)

3. Re: Helping carers

Posted by dosanjh1 at Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks 4 reply - this would a short focused campaign targeting carers in a local area who may not recognise themselves as carers and may be resistant to taking up services available to them.

Any ideas for what would be a good slogan, poster etc would be welcomed, also if you know of similar campaigns pointing me in the right direction would be helpful.

Additionaly, what triggers a carer to recognise themselves as carers? This would help the campaign.

Hopefully I can get you all to do my work for me!! :))

4. Re: Helping carers

Posted by justanothercarer at Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:13 pm

I am happy to do so but lets say 20% of this months salary? :-)

I will give it some thoughts................

5. Re: Helping carers

Posted by kerry. at Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Lol James, I'll have another 20%!!!!!

Big one this Dos. Identifying carers is one huge task. Getting them to then receive help is another. One step at a time love.

Identifying them could be helped with posters in surgeries, waiting rooms, bus shelters, any local meeting point for all sorts, even schools (a lot of em are little ya know)
    Get your local carers group to help you out. Find them through social services.
    :-)

6. Re: Helping carers

Posted by SandySea at Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Dosanjh, where were YOU when I needed you? Ah well, I'm in Australia, I guess I wouldn't have got your message anyway. When I had to give up work to become a full time carer for my Mum, I went into panic mode. Fortunately I went straight to social services and they told me I was eligible to receive a carer's pension, which was a great relief - I didn't even know about carer's pensions. But NO one told me about my rights to respite for TWO YEARS! For the first year she was desperately ill and I couldn't leave the house for more than half an hour at a time, in the second year I could at least spend an hour doing the weekly grocery shopping, but it took 2 years to discover that I could utilise the local council to get trained sitters at low cost to give me time away from the house. To ME, that would really get my attention, but I don't know if this is one of the services you offer. If it is, it's a biggie - carers often feel cso isolated because they can't get out and have time for themselves.
    I even phoned the local Senior Citizens Club and asked them if I could leave my Mum there one day now and then, and was there someone available to take her to the toilet while there, and they rudely informed me that they were NOT a baby sitting service! Not a sympathetic word about getting carers in to help out.
    So MY input, for what it's worth on the other side of the world, would be something like "is caring for a loved one preventing you from getting a little time for yourself now and then? WE have trained professionals who can help!"
    :-))

7. Re: Helping carers

Posted by dosanjh1 at Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Thats good SandySea - I'll have that!

8. Re: Helping carers

Posted by kerry. at Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:21 pm

One thing Dos; when I was doing my dissertation at university a year or two back I enquired with various local agenices to where I live (It was a localised study) as to how many parent/carers there were.
    Nobody knew. Not SS, not Local authority, not local charities (although they estimated a number of total carers).
    I found that very worrying and lackadaisical on their part.
    :-(

9. Re: Helping carers

Posted by dosanjh1 at Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:41 am

Agreed, hopefully changes will be upon us as there is more than a growing recognition of the work carers do and the value they add to the economy. The amount of support that unpaid carers provide is equal to the budget of the NHS!

It's just hard to get carers to think of themselves as carers who may be eligable for support as more often then not their caring responsibility is second nature and part of daily life. Most campaigns to ID carers are not targeted to the right people we want to get those who don't think of themselves as such.

10. Re: Helping carers

Posted by justanothercarer at Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:08 am

Perhaps they acknowledge the campaign and do understand the attempts to have themselves identified as carers but choose not to participate as they do not wish to identified as carers.

This does have to be a choice for people. I know people who care as much as as do but wish to be identified as his wife, her husband, her son and not their 'carer'

By all means identify and support those who wish to participate but do not identify those who care for others as carers if they do not wish to be.

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to