1. Help and advice please ESA have got it wrong!

Posted by Fairy at Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:48 pm

I am very worried and not sure what to do, my husband was on Incapacity Benefit
    for many years as he suffers with Bipolar very badly. I filled in the forms as honestly as I could and our GP wrote a supporting letter too saying my husband could not wouk for the forseeable future, an updated letter of what he wrote in 2006 and my husband has been worse many times since then.
    The result was a shock it awarded my husband ESA but not at the support rate but wrongly in the work related activity group. Even minor stress can cause my husband real problems where it can trigger his illness.If we do nothing he will have interveiws to help him return to work which is impossible, there are strict rules to abide by and the work related activity group only receive ESA for a year. If we appeal this will be stressful too. I am so worried but my husband doesn't know my concerns and the full implications as I am trying to buffer it from him. Help :(

2. Re: Help and advice please ESA have got it wrong!

Posted by Fairy at Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:30 pm

It seems from the lack of advice on here that the ESA have mostly got it right and noone who has read this has had our experience of them getting it wrong. This is encouraging.We have decided to appeal, between a rock and a hard place :!:
    Fairy

3. Re: Help and advice please ESA have got it wrong!

Posted by swissmiss at Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:36 pm

I am sorry noone replied. I think we mostly all acknowledge they have it wrong. I can totally empathise because even the idea of ESA stressed my husband out and I tried to buffer him from life but in the end he couldnt live any more. I might suggest you contact MIND if you havent already and ask their advice. They are very helpful. Has he got a mental health worker who can help you?It does seem to be left to us to fight all the time and it is so not realistic.
    (((HUGS))))
    Karen x

4. Re: Help and advice please ESA have got it wrong!

Posted by Fairy at Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks for your advice Karen
    I'm sorry about your husband hard, very hard.

I'm afraid mental health issues are the poor relation and like learning disabilities often come bottom of the list when funding is being portioned out, so no mental health worker unless you call in crisis in our area. GP is supportive so thats helpful but NHS is still alot of little boxes all individual and not often joined up.

We will try CAB.
    Best wishes
    Fairy

5. Re: Help and advice please ESA have got it wrong!

Posted by marie66 at Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:19 pm

How did you get on Fairy? Have they contacted you re - your appeal?
    It's very worrying when they get it wrong. We had a similar experience with an incapacity review a few years ago.
    We asked our MP to intervene, he spoke to benefits minister and it hurried things up a wee bit.
    Good luck saying a wee prayer for you and your family - I'm really dreading this one coming our way.

Keep strong,
    Marie x

6. Re: Help and advice please ESA have got it wrong!

Posted by Fairy at Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Marie66
    Yes we have heard they have received our appeal they will now look at it and if they still find the same they will send our appeal forward! Longwinded but I guess it needs to be, still a BIG WORRY. Let you know how we get on.Fairy.
Jump to