1. Grandson is autistic

Posted by jaye2080 at Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:44 pm

My grandson was officially diagnosed with autism yesterday.

My daughter is devastated by the news and i've spent the past 2 hours trying to console her. But like i said, he's still the same lad he's always been, he hasn't suddenly developed some terrible illness. Now we know why he has been showing some behaviour problems we can work with it instead of treating him like a naughty boy.

All my years of caring can now be put to some good use. I can at least point my daughter in the right direction to get the help she will need, she can at least benefit from what i have had to learn the hard way, by trial and error.

2. Re: Grandson is autistic

Posted by suejane at Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Jaye im sure you are going to be of enormous help and support. Yes he is the same little boy just has some difficulties. Hugs and best wishes from Jane and Cian in Cardiff!

3. Re: Grandson is autistic

Posted by swissmiss at Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:19 pm

I dont know what to say Jaye. You are right in saying that it doesnt change who he is but it does mean that his life is going to be so challenging. Support is getting better, slowly and I hope that in your area it is moving forward faster than in some. My main advice would be to look at diet and to try and get an OT involved as they can help with sensory issues which are at the root of it. Your daughter will have an awful lot of emotions to go through while having to deal with all the issues. It is hard. You have your own challenges Jaye which will mean that you are going to be stretched as well. The main thing is to be supportive which I know you will be and to see the unique person he is rather than a list of problems and Autistic traits.
    (((HUGS))))
    Karen x

4. Re: Grandson is autistic

Posted by jaye2080 at Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Thanks for the hugs girls, they're very much appreciated.
    After all my family has been through these past few years i'm feeling calm over this latest knock. We've already been tested to the limits so i have no doubts that, as long as we all pull together, we can deal with this.

Hugs
    jaye

5. Re: Grandson is autistic

Posted by swissmiss at Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Perhaps we are selected for special challenges Jaye? It certainly is true that the more life throws at you the less you are shocked and the more resilient you become..at least you know you can cope. :)
Jump to