1. Carers Allowance

Posted by onmybiketoo at Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:24 pm

is it usual to lose carers allowance even when you are caring for someone 24/7 whilst they are in hospital. He is so disabled it would be dangerous if I was not there. Cant sign on as i am not available for work.

2. Re: Carers Allowance

Posted by debzsanderson at Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:57 pm

here is a link to the benefits page about carers allowance -halfway down it says about temporary breaks in caring and includes hospital stays.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... G_10012859

I hope that helps

debz xx

3. Re: Carers Allowance

Posted by swissmiss at Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:23 pm

If you do lose it perhaps there are some compensating benefits? I would talk to CAB? How is Terence? Have you got any better support in place?
    (((HUGS))))
    Karen x

4. Re: Carers Allowance

Posted by onmybiketoo at Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:30 am

Looks like having read all the stuff, the welfare state does not have a safety net for carers. Yes they can stop the pittance you get and not provide an alternative benefit. Can not sign on as I would fail at the first hurdle as not available for work. Also who is going to give me a job for 8 weeks , cant see Tescos employing someone with a Masters degree they will say i'm over qualified.

So they have left me with no way to have a continuity of NI contributions which will affect my pension rights, and £50+ light at a time when it is more expensive to live because of having to buy over priced food at the hospital.

A system fit for purpose and fair to all, I don't think so.

5. Re: Carers Allowance

Posted by swissmiss at Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:36 pm

Angela..how long has Terence been in hospital? Also were you still caring for him for 35 hours a week or more while he was in there?
    Have you spoken to CAB? There may be a welfare fund which can help you financially and since you are I assume too ill to work [doesnt affect the fact you work much harder caring for Terence] there must be a way of protecting your income and pension even if you claim JSA and then get a doctors certificate to say you are unfit for work? You need a rest to go some way to heal yourself though actually I gather the govt's latest ploy to get people into work is to send graduates to stack shelves in supermarkets in return for their JSA!
    Was there no welfare officer at the hospital could have sorted this for you? I saw one at Addenbrookes when Neil was in there in 2007. :)

6. Re: Carers Allowance

Posted by onmybiketoo at Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:32 pm

CA unit are sticking to their guns that I will lose my CA and hubby will lose his DLA also. Going to speak to Hospital welfare person during next few weeks.

7. Re: Carers Allowance

Posted by Katjay at Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:47 am

Hi Onmybiketoo, what you can do is ring the Carers Allowance Unit and ask to claim Carers Credit, you won't get any money claiming this but by doing so you are recognised as a carer, therefore you can claim income support rather than Job Seekers Allowance as due to your caring duty you are unable to work x

8. Re: Carers Allowance

Posted by onmybiketoo at Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:19 pm

have had meeting, with welfare officer, not entitled to anything apparently. So yet again carers are left with no NI contributions. MEETING WAS A TOTAL WASTE OF F****ING TIME.

there is no safety net for carers.

9. Re: Carers Allowance

Posted by Katjay at Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:34 pm

Did they not mention Carers Credit?

10. Re: Carers Allowance

Posted by swissmiss at Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 pm

I Think you still have to be providing care for 20 hours a week to get carers credit?
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/healthcare-profes ... rs-credit/

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to