1. Complaint against a teacher-what to do

Posted by suejane at Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:05 am

Hello there. A friend of mine has made a complaint aginst a teacher at her sons school for children with learning difficulties.The teacher in question
    shefeels has bullied her son and others, our son also some years ago. The Deputy Head has told her there have never been any complaints about this teacher but we know this to be untrue, there have been several including us.What can she do know does anyone have any idea.?Thankyou. We got nowhere but son did succeed at something this teacher so vindictively prevented him from doing and we did inform the school of his ultimate success.

2. Re: Complaint against a teacher-what to do

Posted by jo jo at Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:40 pm

I would bypass the school and go straight to the LEA schools can sweep things under the carpet.

Jo x

3. Re: Complaint against a teacher-what to do

Posted by swissmiss at Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:30 pm

Change schools? There are many teachers who bully and verbally abuse pupils...the head of our local MLD school was well known for it..he bullied his staff as well...and the LEA told me they were waiting for him to retire!!! Try the LEA first but unless they sack them they wont change their spots.

4. Re: Complaint against a teacher-what to do

Posted by Coogybear at Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:48 am

My son was abused by a teacher for some time and ultimately began wetting himself. I took him to the doctor in the first instance and he did his best to explain what she was doing to him. The GP made an entry about it on his notes, as it was clear my son wasn't making his abuse up, he was just 5 years old! The GP then advised me to go straight to the LEA and report it. I did so, but because of other failures at the school, I decided that the abuse issue was the final straw and withdrew all our children from the School and home Schooled them. Best thing I could have done frankly.
    When I went to tribunal over my sons SEN they condemned the School on a whole range of failures, not only on behalf of the heads failure to act to our concerns, but also on the governing body's failure to hold the School to account. Ultimately, the head was sacked and the whole School received a shake up by way of new staff being employed and old ones having to re-interviewer for their jobs. Too late for my children and It took quite a while, but the wheels of change turned eventually.
    Because I was more interested in getting the provision for my son that he needed for his special needs I never did proceed with litigation. In hindsight I wish I had. He spent over a year and a half in private therapy, which I had to pay for and some time under CAMH's. What happened to him was wrong and I found out later it had happened to others. Don't be fobbed off and please don't let the child continue to endure the abuse. If the child is reporting this abuse it is imperative you act on it. The Child needs to be heard. Remove the child from the situation if necessary; you have every right, and demand an investigation not only into your child's allegations, but also others that have been voiced. My heart goes out to your friend and her child. I hope she gets a prompt response and positive outcome. For my own son the abuse just compounded his difficulties with confidence and communication, however, 7 years on and now with statemented support, he's beginning to blossom. Good Luck. Mxx

5. Re: Complaint against a teacher-what to do

Posted by reinvented at Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi suejane

Compaints never go down well, but the key is not being intimidated, maybe a way to approach this is via child protection and kinda get good practice to support you. So for example, in a recent serious case review - it was found that too much emphasis was placed on protecting staff, and the recommendation was:

"While it is important to protect staff against malicious allegations, all concerns and complaints need to be treated with respectful uncertainty, and all evidence carefully recorded".

This was a case of a teacher employed for 15 years and lots of remarks were made but none followed up until a disclosure was made by a child to a parent and the teacher was arrested. So many things were overlooked - like staff noticing he had favourites, usually girls, they would get privillaged tasks, using adult humour with these young kids, several staff had witnessed inappropriate contact - but nothing was properly recorded etc.

Maybe try and include that type of thinking in your complaint: In the interests of child protection I need to raise this issue not only for my son, but all pupils.........I hope you can see what I mean - I'm not very good at this myself - but the school have a duty to take complaints seriously in the interests of the child,
    Hopefully you will have more ideas than me, but by saying not only my son etc. makes you look more objective as a parent.

All the best - it is very worrying for you. XXX
Jump to