1. What does long-term isolation do to a person?

Posted by thatright at Tue May 29, 2012 12:55 pm

If someone has been isolated for a long time, they don't have any friends. What effects would this have on a person? Where would this lead to?

Your opinions or experiences please?

2. Re: What does long-term isolation do to a person?

Posted by avidreader at Tue May 29, 2012 1:14 pm

hi,
    i think being isolated makes making contact with people difficult which then in turn makes you more isolated and it turns into a circle hard to break out of.im ok with a small group of people and prefer to meet one or 2 people at a time i can think of nothing worse than going into a room full of strangers on my own.ive just come out of a long term 10 yr relationship where i was full time carer for my partner most of the time it was just the 2 of us and we didnt see people often or have visitors and when you are like that or on your own it is hard to mix because you forget how to.since the relationship broke down (i have never lived alone) i am living in a large shared house with 15 people, it was terrifying at first, but im becoming more outgoing and have to talk to people, the internet helps too because you can talk to people without being anxious or nervous as they cant see how it makes you feel.i think for good mental health everyone needs interaction of some sort with other people,or a pet to talk to and stroke as pets can be theraputic too,
    hope this helps answer your question,
    from tracy

3. Re: What does long-term isolation do to a person?

Posted by altogether travel at Tue May 29, 2012 5:27 pm

Isolation for older people and older carers is sadly very common, however getting them to realise this is all the more difficult. I spent many years managing home care services and often visited families or individuals at times of crisis. The people with little or no family input or friends or neighbours struggled on until they could go no further.
    It always saddened me slightly that people ended up so isolated and cut off from their community and society in general. I often made suggestion of local groups but as the saying goes you can take a horse to water ........
    I recently set up a social enterprise company offering supported breaks and thankfully have had a few older people who recognise the importance of getting out of the house, booking a break, have a change of scenery and what a difference it can make to them and their outlook on life.

Last edited by altogether travel on Wed May 30, 2012 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

4. Re: What does long-term isolation do to a person?

Posted by ena1 at Tue May 29, 2012 6:48 pm

I didn't think advertising was allowed on this site.

5. Re: What does long-term isolation do to a person?

Posted by altogether travel at Tue May 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi Ena1

Sorry if you feel I was advertising, as a registered member I was giving my first hand experience of isolation which affects many carers, older people and those with health and disabilities. It's something I felt so strongly about that I left my job to set up a social enterprise to offer something that didn't exist for people and carers.
    If my post subsequently benefits even one carer then it surely worth while.
    Stephen

6. Re: What does long-term isolation do to a person?

Posted by swissmiss at Tue May 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Ena is correct. This is advertising a service and as such is prohibited use of this site. Please read the house rules over to the right hand side of this page. If you are not an unpaid carer you do not have the right to register on this site either. I am sure that the site administrators will inform you of this any time now.
    Regards

7. Re: What does long-term isolation do to a person?

Posted by Online support team at Wed May 30, 2012 8:36 am

Hi everyone,

Swissmiss and Ena, you're right in that the house rules state that we don't allow commercial advertising on the site and we are careful to remove any posts which are simply advertisements for a product. However, we do use our discretion in judging examples of this and, at times, where we feel a post on the boards may be of genuine interest to carers we may allow it to remain.
    Thank you both for stepping in to remind the poster in this case, we do appreciate your vigilance! :)

Online support team
    Carers.org

8. Re: What does long-term isolation do to a person?

Posted by CrystalBlueWolf at Wed May 30, 2012 10:54 am

Hey guys,

On the issue of isolation its a bit of a vicious circle in my opinion. I don't have any friends in or around the area i live in, as such i don't know how to make any either. This means that i get very very lonely in the house with just me and hubby, as he spends a lot of time asleep and i'm left to my own devices. But there is only so many times you can do laundry, washing up, gardening or walking the dog before you want to shoot yourself. I think it doesn't help things like depression because i get awful cabin fever, which makes my depression worse. I guess all carers feel it at some point in there lives, it's just dealing with it thats hard :(

9. Re: What does long-term isolation do to a person?

Posted by altogether travel at Wed May 30, 2012 11:27 am

Hi Crystalbluewolf
    Thanks for your post, it's true there is only so many times you can do chores around the house before you are sick of the sight of them. This can be a real problem for people during the winter months when the weather is poor, the day light hours are limited. However I think the fact that you are taking the dog out, gardening and carrying out housework tasks may not seem like much but it's probably making a significant impact on your well being, stop doing these tasks and I would guarantee your mood would suffer.
    The fact that you recognise this is a problem and can freely speak about it is a positive step and one to build upon, that is why forums such as this offer a virtual world of people to communicate with and share problems, stories and offer advice.
    When I worked in social work a number of years ago I met a remarkable man in his 80s that still sticks in my mind, every week he would set him self a new task, either to learn about something he didn't know, learn a new skill, take up a hobby and so on. Every week he would do something new or start a project. He said it kept him out of trouble and gave him something to look forward to and focus on each week.

10. Re: What does long-term isolation do to a person?

Posted by mag101 at Wed May 30, 2012 7:48 pm

Isolation is one of the most common experiences for a Carer but I am wondering about Thatright's post which started this thread - it reads like an exam question. Is Thatright a Carer? The members of this site are often experiencing great difficulty coping with caring roles for many different reasons, including isolation.

So Thatright, can you please clarify whether or not you are a carer and/or the purpose of your question?

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to