1. Evening Just a little about myself

Posted by Lizzzie at Wed May 02, 2012 7:41 pm

Evening to you all,
    I'm new so I thought I would tell you a little about my circumstances.

Im married and my husband has had 3 strokes he is marvellous its mainly his speech and memory that are affected but he gets up and gets on never moans or complains.

We have lived with my parents for nearly 3 years now, dad died in July last year, mum has had problems ever since with mental health in December last year she was admitted to a secure hospital due to suicide tendency, I visited her everyday which was awful.

Over the last 3 weeks she has been home only going back when she couldn't cope today they have discharged her. She is on lots of medication which she doesn't take properly her highs and lows are so extreme she can be frightening.

I have read some of the posts on here and you have all been careering for others for so long I admire your patience and understanding of careering .

A mind of information and understanding.

Lizzie

2. Re: Evening Just a little about myself

Posted by suejane at Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 pm

Welcome Lizzie. My name is jane and i live in Cardiff. I care for my youngest child, a young man of 20 years. He suffers from Dyspraxia with learning difficulties partially deaf and anxiety disorder. He is very good at football and cricket and plays for his country. Wel :) come to avery friendly and supportive place where im sure you will make friends xx

3. Re: Evening Just a little about myself

Posted by swissmiss at Thu May 03, 2012 3:10 am

Hi Lizzie
    I care for my two adult sons who are Autistic. Have been coming in here since 2008 after my husband first attempted suicide. He finally took his own life 18 months ago. The grief has been agony. I can empathise with your Mum. If it hadnt been for my boys I would have probably followed him....but the pain you leave behind when you take your own life is the worst so I am glad I am here . I havent had anti-depressants...just drunk a lot of wine and brandy!! Now I have seen a nutritionist for the first time, privately, because the whole thing has wrecked me and I think and hope that addressing my fatigue and managing my blood sugar levels will ease the mood swings? I could be fine and then suddenly plummet. Nobody prepares you for losing your life partner and until you go through it you cant have any idea...like childbirth!!??
    I have discovered spiritual contact so that has been a great comfort and I can tune in to him and my father who passed 6 months prior and the rest of the family who sadly are all passed over now apart from Mum who is stuck halfway due to severe dementia..not my Mum any more. Your Mum I am sure will improve..it takes a long time...years. For me because he took his own life it took 15 months for the shock to wear off.
    This site has saved my life. people are so accepting and understanding like no other place so you have done right to find it!!
    Take care
    Karen xx :)

4. Re: Evening Just a little about myself

Posted by Jennifer 1 at Thu May 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Hello Lizzi,a big welcome to the site.Many on here will be your friend,and yes a carer for you too.Just ask help is here,and no doubt you can help others,from your experience and dedication.
    Jenni x :)

5. Re: Evening Just a little about myself

Posted by Lizzzie at Thu May 03, 2012 5:40 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Lizzie

6. Re: Evening Just a little about myself

Posted by A020 at Mon May 07, 2012 11:58 am

Hi Lizzie,

I'm writing a feature on stroke for a magazine aimed at carers. I was wondering if it might be possible to talk to you about your experience, either by email/private message on here or the phone? Please let me know and I can provide you with more information and contact details. :)

Best wishes,
    Anna

7. Re: Evening Just a little about myself

Posted by Jennifer 1 at Mon May 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Are you asking for carers who care for people who have had a stroke,or carers themselfs. ?
    Sorry I cant help,although my father in law did have a sroke while in my care,and fortunatley I was allowed by the doctor to keep him at home,this enabled me to feed him and get him wait bearing again,as this would not have been achieved in a hospital.
    Jenni :)

8. Re: Evening Just a little about myself

Posted by Jennifer 1 at Mon May 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Whoops I did mean weight of course. :lol:

9. Re: Evening Just a little about myself

Posted by A020 at Mon May 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi Jenni!

I'm just looking for personal experiences of people who have cared for stroke victims. Not long accounts, just how you dealt with communicating with the person who had suffered the stroke, and advice you would give to other people who care for stroke sufferers.

Best wishes,
    Anna

10. Re: Evening Just a little about myself

Posted by Jennifer 1 at Mon May 07, 2012 3:11 pm

O ok Ann,but I would say to anyone be possitive and strong,and depending on the person who has had the stroke,great recovery can be achieved.Also I would say keep them out of hospital if possible,unfortunatly 24/7 care is not available.It is sad to see patients in hospital not recieving the care they much need to be able to recover,and unfortunatly they are sent home far to early,into the hands of home carers,who sadly do not have the time to give proper care for these people.
    I give great praise to our carers who give up everything to care for their loved ones in their own homes.

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to