1. question on carers allowance

Posted by loussie2 at Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi i currently care for my dad who gets attendance allowance but due to ill health myself i am going to have to stop. When i stop claiming the carers allowance does the money get added to my dads attendance allowance? Thanks

Louise

2. Re: question on carers allowance

Posted by Susiewantsjustice at Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:15 pm

No, I don't think so. When I looked after my mum she had attendance and I had the carers. Best, Susie

3. Re: question on carers allowance

Posted by CrystalBlueWolf at Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm not sure about attendance allowance but you could ask someone, either a benefit helpline or neighbourhood office/CAB. I know if i claim carers allowances my husbands income support goes down, so if i stopped caring it would go back up. I'm not sure in your case

4. Re: question on carers allowance

Posted by loopy at Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:54 pm

no i dont think so. Your money will just stop but your dads attendance allowance should just remain the same.

5. Re: question on carers allowance

Posted by loussie2 at Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Ok thanks everyone. He seems to think that when i first starting claiming carers his attendance allowance went down but he must be muddled. Many thanks

6. Re: question on carers allowance

Posted by swissmiss at Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:19 pm

No, I think he may be correct ...not sure if AA is affected but I remember that there is a benefit which is higher if nobody is getting CA for caring for you???? Perhaps would be idea to contact CAB...they can usually come out if you are housebound...to make sure he is getting all he is entitled to?
    Karen :)

7. Re: question on carers allowance

Posted by swissmiss at Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Found this!!!

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... r-benefits

The income of the person you care for

If you claim Carer’s Allowance the amount of means-tested benefit paid to the person you look after can sometimes be reduced.

For example, a person living on their own (or treated as living alone), or a person who is one of a couple who live alone and both get a qualifying disability benefit, would get the severe disability premium. (It is called the severe disability addition when paid as part of Pension Credit).

The severe disability premium (or addition) can only be paid to someone if no-one gets Carer’s Allowance for looking after them, so once Carer’s Allowance is paid to their carer, the severe disability premium or addition can no longer be paid.

If a couple qualifies for the severe disability premium/addition, they will be getting a double rate. If someone starts to receive Carer's Allowance for caring for one of them, they will get a single rate of the premium/addition. If another person starts to receive Carer's Allowance for caring for the other member of the couple, they will lose the premium/addition altogether.

Please note that having underlying entitlement to Carer’s Allowance will not affect the benefits of the person you are looking after.
Jump to