1. Need some advice about caring and work

Posted by lorsato at Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi to all,

I am new to this website, and this is my first post. So allow me to apologise in advance if I have placed my topic in the wrong section. I presently care for my husband and have been doing so since 1997.

In 97 my husband suddenly became unexpectedly very ill. He suffered a major stroke and heart attack. There was no evidence this was suddenly going to occur, as he was always fit as a fiddle, so when it happened me and our two children were very shocked and I was devastated, as everything my husband used to handle and look after now fell on my shoulders. It took me several months to sort myself out, and I also now had the responsibility of looking after him, which meant having to leave work. At the time he was both mentally and physically disabled and I had to deal with everything, which even included having to apply for all the benefits that he was entitled to and this was a nightmare. Despite his very disabled condition and the 24/7 care he needed, his application for DLA was turned down twice, but eventually with a great deal of persistence he was awarded DLA in 2000. I was then advised to apply for carers allowance as well but after the DLA application ordeal I just could not be bothered.

In 2005 His DLA was reviewed and he was awarded it again and once again his occupational therapist kept encouraging me to apply for carers allowance, which I eventually did and was surprised to be awarded CA without any problems. Now almost 16 years since when my husband first became ill, and I have been caring for him, as selfish as this may sound I need a break, because I feel I have lost my identity. During the past 16 years both our sons have grown up and left home and its just me and my husband, I have always secretly hoped that he would get back his health to the way he once used to be, and then we could fulfil all our plans and dreams of what we would do when the children had grown up and left the nest. But I now have to accept this will never happen.

I was recently approached by my old employer with an offer of casual part time employment, working approximately a total of 10 hours per week, earning a maximum of £50.00 a week, which I would dearly love to take up, but I am so scared that it will affect my husband's benefit, which is made up of Incapacity/Income support and DLA, and then of course my carers allowance. Does anyone know whether my earnings of £50.00 would affect my husband's benefit and by how much. I would dearly love to get myself out and have a different avenue and change of scenery other than what I have been doing for the past 16 years, I feel so trapped and of course if my small earnings were to adversely affect his current level of benefits, then I would just be creating more problems and issues for myself.

Thanks any advice greatly appreciated.

Lorsato

2. Re: Need some advice about caring and work

Posted by Kat_C at Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:39 pm

you can earn yourself £100 before you carers allowance stops, you going back to work should not affect your husbands benefits at all.
    Welcome to the site
    Kat

3. Re: Need some advice about caring and work

Posted by lorsato at Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Kat

Thanks for your reply, as my husband's current and ongoing income support claim is being paid to us as a couple, I thought that meant I am included on his claim, therefore any money that I earn will ultimately affect his income support claim. Just going through all the DWP papers and found a letter from the carers section informing me that I could earn a £100.00 but I am still unsure whether the relatively small earnings of £50.00 a week will affect the overall income support we receive at the moment.

Thanks again for your reply

Lorsato

4. Re: Need some advice about caring and work

Posted by Kat_C at Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:34 pm

the best thing to do is for you to get intouch with the dwp about the work your wanting to do and how it will affect all the benefits
Jump to